Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunday Night at the Movies


Once again my bride has gone off to the home of her teaching buddy for a night of girl talk and man trashing. The cats and I are left to our own devices. We started the night with a dinner consisting of nothing healthy and followed up with Pop Corn.


TV consisted of nothing interesting, so I went to the DVDs. If the cats had any suggestions they kept them to themselves once the Catnip came out. As you may have guessed, I elected to watch El Dorado.

You may as well say John Wayne made this movie three time, the others being Rio Bravo and Rio Lobo. This one has always been my favorite.



I noticed this evening that El Dorado is turning into a ghost story. Most of the head liners are gone now. James Caan is still working, I'm told he used his old handle, Alan Bourdillion Traherne, recently on an episode of Las Vegas. I would have liked to have seen that.


Guns are always a big part of any western, this one was no different. I'm not sure when John Wayne started carrying the large loop Winchester, but it was featured here. Of course, the main reason this is my favorite version of this story is Mississippi's shotgun. There are many firearms I want, one of these I will someday have. In the meantime I get a lot of mileage from my little howdah pistol.

Another interesting Firearm that shows up in this one is Bull's (Arthur Hunnicutt) Colt revolving rifle. To the best of my knowledge this is the only movie featuring one of these beasties. If anyone out there knows of another, give us a shout.

Note
I just realized this is my 60th. post. It shouldn't have taken this long. The next milestone is 75.

2 comments:

  1. I'd never thought of these movies as "ghost stories", but you're right.

    Ever think of posting on the progress of your book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to me as well about the lack of revolving rifles in many mid-to-late century westerns. My (maybe faulty) understanding of their use was mostly for scavengers and fast moving horsemen such as Pony Express.
    I've seen a couple Eastwood westerns utilizing them, though not sure which, and Larry McMurtry made use of it in his novel Lonesome Dove- used by a horse rustler for one brief scene.
    Dunno why I don't have one, other than having to wear a glove to protet the hand and forearm while shooting may have something to do with it.
    Shy III

    ReplyDelete