Tuesday, January 5, 2010

This is Bear

Almost a month ago I announced that my early Christmas present from Helene was a Shepherd Puppy named Bear from a local shelter. Then the camera went on the blink! Finally I asked Matt to take a picture of him and send it to me. He finally sent it. This friends and neighbors, is Bear Burnett.

He is fitting in here. The cats still don't know what to make of him. They are curious but have their standards. He and Peppi get along to an extent but Bear wants to play like a puppy and Peppi insist she WILL be treated like a lady!
With any luck we will be picking up a new camera tomorrow. I have missed posting with my own pictures.
I have a couple of trips planed this year. For one I want to go visit my friend, Tom Townsend at his place outside Rusk, Texas. Those of you who enjoy the Dodge M-37, just wait until you see what Tom has on his place.
I have one other trip planned but will hold off on details for now. I haven't been able to talk to the folks yet and would hate for them to read about it here first.
Some of you have read the post about THE GREAT PUMPKIN SHOOT. The next event Helene and I have planed is COPS AND ROBBERS. As the name suggest this will be to give writers and history buffs hands on experience with firearms made famous by the gangsters and lawmen of the 1920's and 30's.
I toyed with having it on the 81st. anniversity of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, but February is our Monsoon season. At the moment it is planned for the last weekend in April. Rather than making due with my Semi Thompson, I have tentative arrangements for an actual Thompson to come out. If the gentleman I'm talking to can make it he will also bring a BAR. The Thompson is old home week but I have never fire the BAR before and can't wait! More details will be posted in the near future.
One of the other chors is to rework my range. Generally I practice with handguns and shotguns at 25, 50, 75 and 100 feet. Rifles targets will be set at 100 feet, 50 and 100 yards. It's not that I consider myself old but since bi-focals 100 yards is the most I can expect to hit without a scope.
Once this is done (by the end of the month) I will start my annual rotation of the firearms in my collection plus those of some friends I can pester into letting me borrow their stuff. Last year ended before I started this blog due to the problems of getting ammo and reloading supplies. This year I will begin with black powder weapons starting with Hangman's Matchlock. All the details, good - bad - and ugly will be recorded here.
Bear will be along, I think. He isn't real sure about this shooting stuff yet. The Grandkids, Spud and Ali, will want to take part when they can make it out. They take a lot of looking after (what one hasn't thought of the other is already into) but they also make good pack mules and I really do enjoy having them around. Helene has to quote me on that from time to time, but it's true.
So, hang in there and keep me honest. I'm expecting a great year, hope you come along.

6 comments:

  1. Hey there Bear! Nice to meet ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet face! You'd never think he eats used kleenex, assorted paper, and ... cat poo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Folks who eat sauerkraut from the can and watch jerry springer shouldn't throw rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Such a sweet face! You'd never think he eats used kleenex, assorted paper, and ... cat poo."

    Is she talking about me or the puppy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a cutie. Tara can teach him to carry stuff
    in his mouth--last thing she had was a receit from Lowe's--Hangman asked her if she'd been shopping there while we were gone.

    Mrs. HAng

    ReplyDelete